by Matthew Abrams, Sherpa Certified Facilitator
The 30-day challenge is a great activity that you can do without a Forum Facilitator. With the New Year almost upon us, it’s time for resolutions. While only 8% of people who make New Year’s resolutions actually achieve them, you are at a significant advantage to beat the odds for two reasons:
- You’re a successful business leader and you know what it takes to move through the difficult phases of a vision to achieve success.
- You have the benefit of your Forum to support you and hold you accountable.
The 30-Day Challenge is simple. At your first Forum meeting in 2017, each member resolves to either begin or end a habit and commits to it for 30 days. At the end of the 30 days, each member reports back, shares their status and states what they’re committing to from there.
The highly sought after business coach, Tom Bartow, developed a model for the 3 phases of habit formation.
- Phase 1: The Honeymoon is where it seems like the new habit is easy to take on and you’ll likely have the sense that you’ll succeed with no problem.
- Phase 2: The Fight Thru phase is where the rubber meets the road and most people fall off the wagon. It’s here where life gets busy and priorities shift. You’ll need to dig deep to maintain focus and persevere.
- Phase 3: The Second Nature phase is where you’ve persevered through the storm and every day, the habit becomes more and more routinized.
While there is no “magic period” of time that it takes to either pick up or kick a habit, a 30-day commitment will likely take you well into the “Fight Thru” phase if not entirely into the “Second Nature” phase.
Go ahead, be bold, commit and support your other Forum members!
Let us know how it goes at firstname.lastname@example.org